Saturday 7 August 2010

Inclement weather, and where are the swifts?

With unerring accuracy I went to the Common today, only to be rained on in no uncertain terms whilst I was on School Common. Even sheltering under an oak tree with my waterproof jacket and hat covering most of me, one of those pesky mosquitoes still managed a munch, on my hand, which was about the only bit they could reach.

I saw no birds of any consequence, but did hear what I took to be a young bird of prey; probably a kestrel, but perhaps as a couple of years ago, a sparrowhawk.

The skies seem to have gone quiet in the last week, with no screams of swifts reaching my ears. Today was not much of a test as they would have been washed out of the sky, but is anyone aware if they are still around? Last year the last date Swifts were recorded over the Common was 18th July (although they may have been there later of course; I just didn't see any.) In 2008 the last date I was aware of them was 1st August.

2 comments:

  1. Still no swifts; I think they've definitely gone. Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have just seen a solitary swift over Upper Street. House Martins and swallows are still around up here, although I know the house martins were not very evident in Lower Street. Duncan

    ReplyDelete