Sunday 20 March 2011

Gathering pace now

I think it's fair to say that spring is well and truly under way now. A walk round the common yesterday in glorious sunshine proves it. Blue tits were everywhere, including one investigating the nest box they use every year opposite the school. Great tits were singing wherever I went, along of course with lots of other birds. I'm not aware of any summer migrants having arrived here yet, but swallows, house martins and sand martins have already reached some parts of the country, so it won't be long now!I

Last week I had had a lovely view of a singing robin near Scouts' Pond, so this week week I brought my camera, and I'm quite pleased with the result.


Slightly further along the boardwalk, at the pond itself, I could hear a moorhen: with luck they will breed here as I think they did last year.There was frogspawn in the pond, and indeed last week I had seen a couple of frogs, doing what they do.

Last Monday evening five of the SCT trustees were lucky enough to attend a reception at County Hall given by the Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk for representatives of the five organisations nominated in the county for this year's Queen's Award for Community Service. We won't know the result for a few months yet, but it's great that the work we're doing is being recognised.

The latest project is our wildlife survey, which is almost ready to be launched properly. The online side is set up and working (3 brimstone butterflies recorded so far) and there are now forms available from the Post Office - you can also return completed forms there is you wish. We're waiting for more supplies, and then will be able to put them out fir use at the Information Point. Meanwhile, we hope to be telling the school children all about the survey very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment