Friday 15 April 2011

Song time

Had a lovely walk across the boardwalk this evening, enjoying the vast amount of bird song on offer. It started with a willow warbler, one of my favourite singers and not one we hear enough of in our neck of the woods. Soon after that I could hear chiffchaffs and blackcaps, and in the distance a song thrush.

As it happened, my route took me towards that thrush, and I eventually found myself standing beneath the tree it was singing from the top of. It was a truly virtuoso performance, and for all the wonderful songs of our visiting warblers, this bird is definitely one to treasure. It was accompanied by a blackbird and a blackcap, but that thrushwas undoubtedly the star of that particular show.

Silently, but it made my heart sing, glancing up I saw a female sparrowhawk fly across the common.

Not bad for a 40 minute stint!

No comments:

Post a Comment