Sunday 29 May 2011

Babies everywhere

Walking round the Commons yesterday I was struck by the numbers of recently fledged birds, particularly in the woods of School Common. Both the nest boxes that I knew had blue tit families in residence were now unoccupied so far as I could tell, but there were the begging calls of their former residents all over the wood.

I also found fledgeling long tailed tits, blackcaps and chiffchaffs, so I think it's fair to say it has been a successful breeding season already, despite the lack of rain.That lack of rain may well have an impact on the breeding success of swallows and house martins however, since they need mud to build their nests.

I always think the main common looks its absolute best at exactly this time of year, and although there was no sun, the section we cut every year was nonetheless a picture. The fresh growth of reeds contrasts vividly with the darker greens of older vegetation, and the fluffy cotton grass heads set it all off beautifully. Add to that the subtle purples and pinks of orchids and ragged robin, and you have a very pretty picture indeed. Not one my photographic skills would have been up to I fear, even if I had bothered to take my camera in such dull weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment