Saturday 24 September 2011

Indian summer, or new spring?

Today is so warm it's like summer - the papers inevitably say it's an Indian summer. The chiffchaffs on School Common however are singing; so I guess they think it's spring again. They are very tame, but flitting in and out of the late summer foliage I cannot get a clear picture of them.


There is a marsh marigold on the main boardwalk that is less inclined to hide. I photographed it last week, but it's still there in all its glory, and I can't resist taking another shot today.

Nearing Pit Common from the Warren Woods direction I hear a green woodpecker. I have had strangely few sightings of Great Spotted woodpeckers this year. Further along the road, more or less opposite The Hill, I find a comma butterfly, and there was a Red Admiral at the Pit. I'd seen a speckled wood on School Common, and there was still a ruddy darter dragonfly at Scouts' Pond.

All in all, very satisfactory for what can be a rather boring time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment