Saturday 19 November 2011

Fieldfares and starlings

On a fabulously sunny and warm day a trip round the common seemed a good plan. I didn't get there until 2.00, so the sun was already getting low, and being so bright made seeing a tad difficult. There was not actually much to see, but lingering on the platform at Scouts' Pond for a while, I was rewarded by a glimpse of two fieldfares. Not the first of the year I know, but welcome just the same. They are very flighty birds however, so my view was only brief.

Further on, the was a nice group of starlings disporting themselves in the sunshine on the wires crossing the field opposite The Pit. I love to hear them sing in conditions like this, and indeed there had been a lot at it when I was in Sheringham just before I came to the Common. They were good enough to pose for a picture:


I see the BTCV people have cleared away all the cuttings from the last working party, so it's all systems go to try to finish Area A tomorrow. Let's hope it stays dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment