Monday 5 March 2012

Sparrowhawk, and working party 4th March

Driving down Bramble Lane on Saturday morning I realised there was a sparrowhawk in one of the fields, feeding on a wood pigeon. I pulled up and my companion and I had a wonderful view - initially at the expense of a chap in a van who was parked on the other side of the lane and had been watching the bird for 10 minutes already. Once the initial fascination was over I realised I was parked front of said van, and moved a bit further forward, worried that by doing so I might spook the hawk. No risk of that; it carried on plucking feathers and gobbling flesh without any concern, even though it was only 30 feet at most from the car. An ideal opportunity for a wonderful photo; except I had not brought my camera with me! Will I never learn?

The next day was the penultimate working party of the cutting season, but having guests meant I was not there. Instead, we were in Southwold, suffering from the vile weather that the working party will have mostly avoided. Here is Chairman John's message:


Hello All
 
Well, with typical bravado and brinkmanship we courted the weather demons yesterday and scored another major success.  Thanks everyone for turning out in defiance of all the predictions.  We have one more scheduled session, Saturday 17th March at 9:00am, when we shall finish the small bit in the middle and create, for the first time in 4 years, one great mowed expanse across the whole central part.  And I think all that deserves a celebration, the exact nature of which is under consideration already.
 
Kind regards from John

No comments:

Post a Comment