Tuesday 10 February 2015

It's all kicking off now

I took the time to have a proper walk round all the five Southrepps Commons this morning, clocking up a very decent 27 bird species, and a muntjac. Now is the season for snowdrops, and not to be outdone we have a few ourselves, on the "Bradfield Road spur" of the boardwalk.


Walking along Bradfield Road, I noticed quite a few more growing in the woods.

Highlights amongst the birds were a heron at Scouts' Pond (both on my way out, and still there on my way back two hours later), a buzzard soaring effortlessly despite being harassed by gulls above The Pit, 3 siskins in Bradfield Road woods (I found them because one was singing), and best of all, a woodcock flushed from the trees opposite the area where the orchids and cotton grass grow. It was noticeable that large numbers of blue tits have moved into the woods; perhaps from nearby gardens, or perhaps from further afield.

The place was getting pretty noisy too: as well as the singing siskins, I counted four song thrushes living up to their names in a big way, a couple of skylarks, and loads of great tits, robins and chaffinches in good voice.

I think we can say that spring is under way - let's hope it keeps it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment